The Senior Project Program is designed to be the culminating experience of each student's academic experience at Sugar Bowl Academy. It is a meaningful opportunity for seniors at Sugar Bowl Academy to pursue their personal and academic interests inside and outside of the classroom, and is a unique personal inquiry for each student to gain an in-depth understanding of a particular subject area through research and real life learning.
Sugar Bowl Academy is dedicated to a community of lifelong learners who seek to engage actively in all aspects of an individual's mind, body, and spirit. To this end, the senior project experience incorporates the following five components into a research paper, tangible product, and presentation:
3. Academic Rigor
4. Benefits to the Larger Community
5. Collaboration with an SBA Mentor and a Secondary Mentor
Past Essential Questions Include:
- Why do humans need to create and believe in gods/goddesses in order to live happily?
- What type of relief efforts best address the needs of children living in developing countries like India?
- What drives individuals to join gangs?
- How does a country's form of government affect the stability of the country and the lives of its citizens?
- What role do ethics play in fundraising?
- How does musical therapy affect the quality of life for Alzheimer's and dementia patients?
Past Products Include:
- Construction of an indoor rock climbing wall at SBA
- Production of a documentary film on the what it means to be an elite alpine ski racer
- Creation of a fundraising project directed at relief for the children affected by the Haitian earthquake
- Energy audit of the SBA campus
- Development of an online photo sharing software where members of the SBA community can exchange photographs
- Writing and directing a murder mystery
- Development of a nutrition guide and energy bar for alpine and nordic athletes