Our Unique Schedule
SBA provides student-athletes with the very best opportunities to maximize their academic and athletic opportunities through a well-orchestrated yearly calendar and daily schedule. SBA’s annual calendar ensures that academic and athletic peaks do not coincide.
The yearly calendar is designed around the training and competition schedules of our student-athletes and runs year-round from June to June. While the bulk of our academic coursework occurs from September through June, summer academic options provide students with the opportunity to reduce their course loads during the winter months. Rigorous course loads in the fall and spring are reduced during the winter months to accommodate students’ training and travel demands.
Similarly, SBA’s daily schedules are designed to facilitate student-athletes’ academic, athletic, and personal growth. In the Fall and Spring, students’ seven hour academic day is broken up by two conditioning sessions while during the Winter students ski for three to four hours before heading back to school for four to five hours of academic work.
The time demands on SBA student-athlete are intense, but detailed individual planning, support from peers with like minded goals, and strong commitment and understanding from all staff allows them to succeed.
In the fall and spring, the academic day follows a consistent pattern:
- The class day begins at 8am and ends at 3pm
- AP classes meet for 60 minutes four times per week while non-AP classes meet for 60 minutes three times per week
- There is a daily, 20 minute all-school pleasure reading block
- Throughout the week, there are additional blocks scheduled for all school meetings, an advisory program, and student jobs
- The academic day is followed by a conditioning session each day from 3:00pm - 5:00pm
- The academic day is preceded by four 60 minute morning workouts
During the winter months (November 30 to April 1), SBA has a unique schedule designed for ideal on-snow training without sacrificing academic class time.
- Mondays are mandatory athletic recovery days. The academic day runs from 8:00am - 3:00pm
- On Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, SBA students train on-snow from 8:30am-11:30am and the academic day runs from 12:30pm -5:00pm
- On Fridays, the school day runs from 8:00am to 12:35pm followed by training from 1:00-3:30pm
- Throughout the week there are additional blocks scheduled for all school meetings, an advisory program, student jobs, and strength and conditioning sessions
- On Saturdays and Sundays, training sessions run from 8:30am - 3:00pm or per coaches' discretion